1 the quotient obtained when the magnitude of a part is divided by the magnitude of the whole [syn: proportionality]
2 magnitude or extent; "a building of vast proportions" [syn: dimension]
4 harmonious arrangement or relation of parts or elements within a whole (as in a design); "in all perfectly beautiful objects there is found the opposition of one part to another and a reciprocal balance"- John Ruskin [syn: balance]
1 give pleasant proportions to; "harmonize a building with those surrounding it"
2 adjust in size relative to other things
- a quantity of something that is part of the whole amount or number.
- harmonious relation of parts to each other or to the whole.
- proper or equal share.
- the relation of one part to another or to the whole with respect to magnitude, quantity, or degree.
- In the context of "mathematics|countable": A statement of equality between two ratios.
- Finnish: osa, osuus, suhde
- German: Proportion
- Interlingua: proportion
- Portuguese: proporção
- Spanish: proporción
- Valencian: proporció
- To set or render in proportion.
Proportionality may refer to:
- Proportionality (mathematics), the special mathematical relationships of direct and inverse proportion between two variables
- Proportionality (physics)
- Proportionality (law), a legal principle under municipal law in which the punishment of a certain crime should be in proportion to the severity of the crime itself, and under international law an important consideration when assessing the military necessity of an attack on a military objective
- Proportionality (political maxim), a maxim which states that any layer of government should not take any action that exceeds that which is necessary to achieve the objective of government
Proportion redirects here. Proportion may refer to:
Proportional redirects here. Proportional may refer to:
- Proportional (fair division) means that each of n players thinks that they received 1/n of the cake.
- A proportional control system is a type of linear feedback control system
- Proportional representation in electoral systems
- Proportional fonts
proportion in German: Proportion
proportion in Esperanto: Proporcio
proportion in French: Proportion
proportion in Italian: Proporzionalità
proportion in Norwegian: Proporsjon
proportion in Portuguese: Proporcionalidade
proportion in Swedish: Proportionalitet
accommodate, accord, acreage, adapt, addition, adjust, adjust to, agreement, allegory, allotment, allowance, amount, amplitude, analogousness, analogy, approximation, area, arithmetical proportion, arrangement, array, assimilate, attune, balance, balancing, beauty, big end, bigger half, bigness, bilateral symmetry, bit, bite, body, breadth, budget, bulk, caliber, cancel, capacity, change, chunk, coequality, coextension, commensurability, commission, comparability, comparableness, comparative anatomy, comparative degree, comparative grammar, comparative judgment, comparative linguistics, comparative literature, comparative method, comparativeness, compare, comparing, comparison, compass, compensate, concinnity, concord, conform, conformity, confrontation, confrontment, congruity, consistency, contingent, continued fraction, continuum, contrast, contrastiveness, coordinate, correlation, correspondence, counterbalance, counterpoise, countervail, coverage, cut, cut to, deal, degree, deployment, depth, destiny, diameter, differentiation, dimension, dimensions, disposal, disposition, distinction, distinctiveness, distribution, divide, dividend, division, dole, dynamic symmetry, emptiness, empty space, end, enlarge, equal share, equality, equalize, equate, equation, equilibrium, equipoise, equipollence, equiponderance, equity, equivalence, equivalency, euphony, eurythmics, eurythmy, even, even up, evenness, evolution, expanse, expansion, extension, extent, extrapolation, fate, field, finish, fit, fix, formation, fraction, galactic space, gauge, gear to, geometric ratio, girth, grade, graduate, greatness, group, half, halver, harmonic proportion, harmonize, harmony, height, helping, homologate, homologize, identity, improper fraction, infinite space, integrate, integration, interest, interpolation, interstellar space, interval, inversion, involution, justice, keeping, key to, largeness, layout, leap, length, level, levelness, likeness, likening, lineup, lot, magnitude, make plumb, make uniform, mark, marshaling, mass, match, matching, measure, measuredness, measurement, meed, mess, metaphor, modicum, modify, modulate, moiety, multilateral symmetry, multiplication, notation, notch, nothingness, nuance, opposing, opposition, order, orderedness, organization, outer space, par, parallelism, parity, part, pas, peace, peg, percent, percentage, period, piece, pitch, plane, plateau, point, poise, polarity, portion, practice, pro rata, proportionability, proportionality, proportionate, proportions, prorate, put in tune, quantum, quiet, quietude, quota, quotum, radius, rake-off, range, rank, rate, ratio, ration, reach, reconcile, rectify, reduction, regularity, regularize, regulate, relation, relationship, remove, rhythm, right, round, routine, rule of three, rung, scale, scope, segment, set, set right, setup, shade, shadow, shape, shapeliness, share, similarity, similarize, simile, similitude, size, slice, small share, sort, space, spatial extension, sphere, spread, square, stair, stake, standard, step, stint, stock, strike a balance, structure, subtraction, suitableness, superficial extension, surface, sweetness, symmetricalness, symmetry, sync, synchronize, system, tailor, tract, tranquillity, transformation, tread, trilateral symmetry, trim to, trope of comparison, true, true up, tune, uniformity, void, volume, weighing, width